Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June 14th

Today it was a hot Costa Rican day, and we finally experienced our first Costa Rica downpour. We have been due for one since we arrived. Here's what we did today:

Today, at Lomas, we also accomplished a lot! We painted 2 full classrooms (sanding, painting walls and chairs—2 coats!), so we had a 'real work' day. Because of the rain, we struggled a bit with moving the desks and chairs in and out of the classrooms to paint, but to also protect them from the rain. We are very proud of all we’ve accomplished so far. When the kids get breaks from schoolwork to play, we drop everything and play too! Although it might feel like short playtime with them, it has been wonderful playing games like hot potato, soccer, and red rover with our kids. Our school even has a K-9 mascot! When there’s any downtime, he shows up. Today, he was much bolder than yesterday; he snatched a few brushes, water bottles, and a soccer ball! He also loved rubbing his wet fur all over us to dry off :) He’s our comic relief throughout the day. Although we have a ‘plan’, our schedules at the schools have not gone as planned; however, it has turned out better than we could have ever imagined. Our students are very interactive with the kids at the schools, which is incredible given the language barrier. Love has no language, and kids are kids no matter what country you’re in. Today was much better overall as we are getting more and more comfortable with the environment, kids, and language.

At Finca, one group painted our designated wall, and the other group was in and out of the classrooms working on crafts with the kids and playing games with them. Our games with the kids include soccer (of course), jump rope, bubbles, drawing with chalk, piggy back rides, and patty cake. Today our kids at our school were a little more comfortable with us, which also meant they were ready to play, and play hard. At times, it became a little overwhelming, but our team handled it with grace and patience, and we give MANY MANY thanks to our helpers/translators, Pablo and Dayan. They are truly rockstars. We have made tons of progress on our painting! Juan, our head painter, is very proud of us, and Pablo says that nothing in Costa Rica gets done as fast as our painting. We might have some professional painters on our hands! We are loving the kids at our school and each of us are forming am extra special bond with a kid (or two or three) at the school. Some of them even wanted us to adopt them and take them AND their entire family back to the U.S. with us :)

During large group at night, it’s so heartwarming to watch and hear about everyone’s experiences during the days at the schools. People on our team are connecting with not only the kids at the schools, but also each other on our team. We love hearing the stories at night and learning a little more about each other’s hearts. It’s only our second day visiting schools, but we are already seeing a HUGE difference in today from yesterday. Tomorrow, we are going to the Hope Center, a soup kitchen, to learn more about Openhouse and San Jose. The people on our team are truly spectacular, and we can’t wait to see what the rest of the week holds!

Blog collaborated by:

Ashley Crockett- I am so thankful for my husband, Jeff, who has been so amazing and extremely supportive of Bianca’s desire and request to participate in this parent/student mission trip! You are so understanding of our time away from home and taking care of our sweet boy Hayden while we are away! Thank you so much! This trip also required you to work from home all week… so I thank Delta for their understanding in allowing you to work from home so you could be with our son! I miss you like crazy and love you with all my heart! I also want to thank all our family and friends who helped support us!!! Please know this is not just “our” mission trip… but yours as well because of all your donations and tons of much needed prayers!! This trip wouldn’t be possible without each and every one of you! Bianca I am so proud of you!!
Bianca Morrissey- First off, I miss my Dad, my brother: Hayden, and my dogs: Maddie and Finn. I want to thank them and other relatives that helped with giving donations and how they helped us get to where we are this week. I love you all, miss you all, and thanks so much for donating and praying for our safety to get here, while were here, and on our way back! Again, THANK YOU!

Maddie Bernard- I miss you a lot mom and you too Katie and I can’t wait to tell you all about it when I get back! Make sure to say hi to Buster for me and give him a big hug and tell him I miss him too!
Dave Bernard- I love you, Judy, and miss you very much. Katie, I can’t wait to hug you. You’re next to come with me on a mission trip. You will just love the kids, and soccer!

Jerry Chapman- I want thank my wife, Suzette, for the support and love that she has provided.  Additionally, all the friends and family who helped make this trip/experience happen for Alex and I.  My men’s group, our (Suzette and I) couples group on Friday nights.  

Alex Chapman- Hi Mom!

2 comments:

  1. so happy that your work is going well. you are building precious memories. your all in my prayers. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. so happy that your work is going well. you are building precious memories. your all in my prayers. Joyce

    ReplyDelete